Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Infusion Day 1, 5:15am





5:15am Nurse Ron wakes us up to get our day started. First he has to start a port in Jon's right arm for the blood draws. This will stay in his arm so they don't have to keep sticking him. Jon is a trouper and got through it with only one little whine. They have to put a board on his arm to keep it straight because the port is in the bend of his arm.

Next they switch to his left arm for the IV. First they try to put it in the middle of his forearm so it won't affect the use of his arm. It was a no-go and it hurt Jon. So they went on down to his hand and got that with no problem. Unfortunately he thinks he can't use it and I can't convince him that it is OK.

He will be eating every 2 hours so he started out at 6:20 with Goldfish crackers, grapes and Sunny Delight. I told him I wasn't going to feed him so that encouraged him to eat with his left hand. He won't pick up the glass so I am having to help him with that...he needs to eat everything they give him.

I thought we might go back to sleep but nope, too much excitement. So here I am and there he is watching TV. By the way, notice the cards on the door to the bathroom...that is only a few of them, thanks again!

More later.

No comments: